Wednesday, May 12, 2010

It won't fit Captain!

Last week, I heard from a fellow F-Chatter who had a few Stebro exhaust tip inserts to sell. Since I've not been able to get a hold of Stebro directly, I bought the inserts from this fellow. They arrived today and guess what? They don't fit! Does Stebro make different diameters in these things? I know there are long ones and short ones, but I thought the diameters were the same. Hmmm...the inserts are about 2.38" OD and the tailpipes are 2.17" ID. I do have a tailpipe expander, but there's no way I can stretch them 0.2". Oh well, back in the box they go!



On the engine front, I pulled the distributor cap off the 1-4 cylinder bank. There is nothing obviously wrong yet. I suspect that the electronic ignition module is failing. Surprisingly, replacements are not too expensive so I went ahead and ordered a new set. It's actually not stock -- at some point in the past, the points were removed and Allison (now Crane) XR-700 boxes were installed. I guess I'll take this opportunity to replace the ignition wires as well. I bought some replacements a few months ago and they've just been sitting on a shelf.