Sunday, May 1, 2011

Shocking -- two sunny Saturdays in a row

We've had lots of spotty weather lately and today happens to be another sunny day. This marks two Saturdays in a row that I've been out to E@RTC. Last Saturday, TK and I met SL for breakfast then headed over to see the cars. There's always a good crowd at the beginning of the season and I think 150 cars showed up last week. TK and I had other errands to run so we were not in the 308, nor could we stay long. It was SL's first E@RTC and it was cool for him to see all these cars in one place.

Yesterday I headed down by myself in the 308 under some sketchy looking clouds. We had a pretty good turnout, although the Italian showing was a little light. I parked next to an '85 308 QV that I'd been next to before. As I was wandering around, I looked back and saw a Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder parked next to me. I rushed back to check it out.



As I was walking around admiring the car, something struck me as odd. I took a closer look at the rear emblem. A quick chat with the owner confirmed that this was not a real 250 GT Spyder but a replica! I'm typically not find of replicas, but this one was very, very well done. He calls it a "Forrari" because it has a Ford 351 Windsor powerplant. One of the reasons the car looks so authentic is that it was made using the same molds as the Ferris Bueller car from the movie.



I usually spend most of my time wandering around looking at cars, but I spend most of the time there standing next to my car chatting with people. My neighbor HM came down in his Ferrari 400i convertible (one of 2 made by the factory) and I barely saw the Enzo come and go. When I went to leave, I was in line between a Red Lamborghini Countach and a Grigio Ferrari 458. The Countach was just puttering along but when we pulled onto the highway, the 458 blasted by me in the left lane. The noise! Oh my goodness, the noise! The 458 (and all the modern Ferraris) have this amazing F1 scream at high RPM. My car certainly does not sound like that.

When I got home, I continued my task of cleaning out my shop. I still have lots of random parts from old car projects -- most of which should just be thrown away. Looking at the pile of junk, I decided to finally try my hand at making some yart. Yart? What's that? It's basically yard art made of old bits of junk assembled to be something cool. I found some old broken yard tools and car parts and a few hours later...



Not bad for a first attempt. Truth be told, I borrowed this particular idea from a weekend trip that TK and I were on a few weeks ago. We came across a store with one of these on the lawn. Mine is not exactly the same, but there are similarities. It now sits at the end of our driveway next to a signpost and planter to greet our guests.