Monday, July 11, 2011

Help, my electrons are leaking out

Up until this week, we've had quite a run of good weather. I've had the 308 out a few times in the last month and it's been a blast. A couple weeks ago, it was Ferrari day at E@RTC. This was a big event, especially since it was at the RTC center court. The weather was beautiful and we had a tremendous turnout. I heard there were 70 Ferraris there, including an Enzo, a 599 GTO and a 250 GTO racer.



I went to start the car last week and the battery was dead -- again. The battery is less than 2 years old and this was not the first time it's been dead after sitting. I finally pulled it out and had Napa run a load test on it. Prognosis? Deader than a doornail and in need of a replacement. Fortunately, it was still under warranty and it cost me about $20 for a new battery.



When I got home, I decided to run a few tests before hooking everything back up. I hooked up my multimeter inline on the negative terminal of the battery and pulled out all the fuses in the fusepanels. Sure enough, there was a 140ma drain in the system when it should have been near zero. Even with all the fuses hooked up, the only things drawing power with the ignition off should be the clock and the stereo memory. It should be 10-15ma at most. The combination of a dying alternator and a parasitic electrical drain was enough to kill the battery. Since I'm working on sorting out electrical stuff, now's a good time to figure out why my keyless entry stopped working as well. However, before I could do more tests, my multimeter died(!). I guess I'll have to wait to do more troubleshooting.