Saturday, May 26, 2012

Center court at RTC

Early in the morning, SL and I headed out to E@RTC. This was my first drive with working catalytic converters and I was anxious to know if they worked to reduce the exhaust smell. I'm happy to report that they do seem to work. SL drove behind me in his 360 and he said that the stinky smell was gone. Hurray -- just what I was after.

However, having operational cats brought on another problem. Every now and again under acceleration, the 1-4 bank slow down light comes on. When I back off the throttle, the light goes out. I seems like some unburnt fuel is passing through one of the cats and it's getting too hot. I'll need to do some work to figure out what's happening here.

Today was a special event at E@RTC. We were expecting a Bugatti Veyron and a Lexus LFA. Sunny Saturday and center court at RTC means lots of cars and people. We were at one end of the road with Ferraris on one side and Lamborghinis on the other. As VT said, "boys on one side, girls on the other." I'll let you decide which is which. We set a record too at over 250 cars.



Here it is, the Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport



Here's something most people have never seen before -- a Lexus LF-A. I must say, I was not terribly impressed. I mean, it looks like any other Japanese sports car. And really, who would pay $378K for a Japanese sports car? For that money, you could get two Ferrari 458s.



This is unusual. It's a replica vintage Ferrari race car. I don't know what's under the hood, but if the clear hood bubble covering the 8 Weber carburetor throats were any indication, I'd say it was a Ferrari 250 V12. I heard a rumor that it was for sale for about $200K.



Here's something truly rare. A 1957 Aston Martin DBR2, chassis number 2. Only 2 of these were ever made and this one belongs to Greg Whitten.



There were lots of other cool and unusual cars including a 1960s Ford GT40 and other old race cars. Here is something that caught my eye. I actually have no idea what it is, but it's very cool. It's got an air suspension and when parked, it sits right on the ground and you can't even see the wheels. I wandered over just as the owner was about to leave and saw the car rise up a few inches, then float away.