Monday, January 3, 2011

And now for something completely different

In case you were wondering, YES I did end up going for a drive on New Year's Day. It was a short drive to meet some motorcycle buddies at a Bigbucks 10 miles from home. We talked about motorcycle trips for 2011 over a cup of overpriced and underflavored coffee. The weather has been about the same for the past few days. Clear, sunny and cold cold cold. I'm getting tired of looking at the compact snow and ice in my yard. It's supposed to rain before the week is out so hopefully, it'll wash all the ice away.

Ok, on to something different today. On my way home today, I thought about (of all things) Fair Scones. Huh? You know, those tasty jam filled baked goodies from the fair? I thought about the $10 box of Fair Scone mix I saw once at a store and figured there's got to be a recipe somewhere. When I got home, I consulted the Oracle (my Droid2) and sure enough, the recipe is a well-known secret. This recipe was printed back in a 1930's Fisher Cookbook and the folks at the fair pump about about 80,000 per day.

It's a pretty simple recipe:

2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup raisins (if you are omitting the raisins, add another 2 Tablespoons of milk)

Check out this site for the complete text on putting it all together.



Not too bad for a first attempt. I even got the TK nod of approval!