Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New year's resolution to clean

A few days ago, a '78 308 GTS popped up on eBay. Starting bid was $30K with a buy it now price of $35K. The seller had a nice walk-through video showing how clean the car was. Of course, someone posted it on F-Chat and there was lots of discussion on the good and bad and pricing. Anyhow, I showed the video to TK and asked how my car compared. She said that it was no comparison. The eBay car was WAY better than mine and that the difference was "day and night." She even said that it was "embarrassing to be in a nice car that was filthy." What? Ok, I agree that the eBay car was very very clean. Up to this point, I've not done all that much for the looks of the car other than a session with the polisher and some spot cleaning here and there. There're a lot of places that need to be cleaned and freshened up with paint. Still, night and day?

Now that the car has been mostly sorted out, I'm going to spend time this year to really clean and detail. I do have some mechanical stuff to tend to (suspension bushings), but my resolution for 2011 will be to detail and to drive more. Of course driving more means more dirt, which will mean more cleaning. What a cycle!