Monday, April 2, 2012

Come on Sun, I know you're out there!

After being rained out for 6 consecutive weekends, we finally had our season opener of E@RTC two weeks ago. It was still overcast and darned cold in the morning but when the sun came out, it was glorious. What a turnout too! At one point, the organizers counted 180 cars, the most for a season opener. They reconfigured the parking as well so most of the cars are closer to the shopping area. I think they figure that people will show up early to see the cars, then stay to shop before leaving. Seems like a win-win for the gather and the shopping center.



There was a strong showing of 308s -- 4 total and a 328. Not in this photo was a late-comer '77 US model. I spent a lot of time talking to the owner as I had never seen a '77. It was a GTB which made it even cooler. I really like digging into the little details that change throughout the years and I learned a lot about the '77s.



I spent so much time hanging out on the Ferrari section and didn't get much of a chance to see the other cars. However, I did get to see 2 things many car guys have NEVER seen. How about a bright yellow Vector M12? Only 18 ever made (and one of them was recently destroyed in a fire).



Not impressed? How about a McLaren MP4-12C? That's some 627hp V12 goodness right there.



At the event, my buddy SM was getting a group together to go for a little drive. I had other things to do around the farm, but darn it, I needed to drive! GM, the owner of the Giallo Fly (that's yellow to normal folk) 308 decided to come along as well.



Turns out that this was a Ford Mustang crowd. We had 7 Mustangs of all years, 1 Chrysler 300, 2 308s and a Maserati. It was wonderful spending the rest of the day driving around in the North Cascades.

Last Saturday was rained out, but this weekend is looking ok. More sun! Less rain!