Sunday, October 18, 2009

Chasing down those electrical gremlins!

I got another step further in chasing down my electrical problems. The first thing I did was to install my Birdman Fuse Blocks. As I mentioned in a previous post, the OEM fuse blocks are a weak point on these cars. Birdman has replacements that are reported to fix a lot of things. In addition to the fuse blocks, I also replaced about half the relays (the other half are in transit). While I was messing around down there, I found and removed an old Blaupunkt 120 watt stero amplifier. Who knows if it still works, but I have no interest anyway in much of a stereo system for this car. The sweet music from the engine will be enough.



After I did this, the fuel pump started working again, as if by magic. However, not so magical, is that an intermittent high pitched squealing sound is coming from the pump. The sound seems to only be there right when I turn the key. After a few seconds, the returns to a normal pump sound. I'll probably replace it anyway, just in case.

Another thing I worked on was reassembling the left headlight. A while back, I noticed that the left ventilation fan (which is strangly located under the headlight) was not attached to anything. I pulled out the headlight assembly to remove the blower fan. The mounting tabs for the fan were broken, and it looks like not the first time.



The original plastic mounting tabs had broken off, and someone in the past riveted some sheet metal ears over the broken tabs. The sheet metal ears then broke off. I made some beefier ears from 16 gauge sheet metal and riveted them on. Hopefully, this fix will last longer than the last one. I put the headlight back on and they too work. Before, the headlight motors worked sporadically. Now both lights go up and down as they should. The remaining problem with the headlights is that the low beam only works when I jiggle the light switch. I'll need to have a closer look at the switch the next chance I get.

The last thing I worked on was the power windows. I found two window switches in the box-o-parts (the car needs three) and I hooked two of them up on the driver's side. I had heard that the power windows on these cars were slow and boy were they right. I mean, the windows are not only slow -- they are RIDICULOUSLY slow. Apparently, one of the main problems is in the lengthy ground path for the motors. There is a company that makes window accelerators for this car and I'll probably get one of those as well.