Saturday, October 24, 2009

New fuel pump and now I know why my lights are flaky

Every now and again, my fuel pump would make a horrible screeching sound. It was intermittent, and would only last a few seconds. I decided that before I drive this car, I should replace the pump before it dies completely. The original one is NLA and a number of people on F-Chat said a Pierburg pump was a good replacement. It's actually listed as a replacement for a carb'd Porsche 911.



It is quite a bit different than the OEM one. The fuel flow is from one end to the other whereas the original was in and out the side at the bottom. Good thing I had some extra fuel line for the new configuration. Installation was pretty straightforward. There is no longer a screeching noise from the back and the new pump is about as loud as the old one.



On to the next thing. I figured out why my brake lights didn't work. After contorting myself to get under the dash, I removed the brake switch from the pedal. The thing is plastic with a crimped metal band to hold the pieces together. After pulling it apart, I could see that the plastic had melted around the contacts and the switch plunger had basically fused itself to the switch body. It's not fixable so I'll have to source a replacement. Hopefully, I can find one that's not plastic.



I took a closer look at my headlight switch too. The headlights went up and down as they should, but the low beams didn't always work and now I know why. The headlight stalk is cracked at the base, right near the pivot point. These are NLA as well, although Verell at the Unobtainium Supply Company will cast a new one. The repair will be stronger than the original one. I need to pull the steering wheel hub off, which of course takes a special tool.



It doesn't seem like it, but the todo list is slowly getting shorter. Done today:

- Put driver's door lock mechanism and door latch back together
- Put hood back on
- Replaced remaining relays
- Replaced fuel pump
- Cleaned and lubricated driver's window mechanism

I didn't get any pictures, but I removed and disassembled the power window assembly per Birdman's instructions. The window is a little faster, but not much. Next will be to install some relays in the wiring which will reduce the voltage drop to the motor.