Saturday, September 25, 2010

Highs in the mid-70s!

Today was forecast to be a nice day and indeed it was. I decided last night that I was going to head down to E@RTC in the morning. There won't be very many warm dry weekends left this year and I definitely wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. Before I left the house, I took a little time to clean some of the dust off the paint, clean the wheels and dress the tires.



As expected, there was the throng of Lambos and the other regulars, but it seems like something out of the ordinary always shows up. I parked next to a Giallo Fly '78 308 GTS and behind me were four Tesla Roadsters. I had never actually seen a Tesla in person so I talked to one of the owners for quite a bit. I learned lots of new things about how the Tesla works. It'd be really cool to own one, but the price would need to come down dramatically before I could possibly afford one.



Next up was a Harley Davidson motorcycle with a dual front tire conversion. A local guy is developing this as a retrofit kit for all modern Harleys. The unique thing about this setup vs. other 3 wheeled bikes is that the bike can still lean into turns like a normal motorcycle. Hopefully, he can get the funding he needs to get the product from prototype to market. Check it out at his website. He's got some cool videos of the mechanism in action.



Also something else I'd never seen before in person was an Ariel Atom. It's hard to describe what this thing is. You could call it a go-cart on steroids. It's basically a tube chassis with a big engine. The owner was talking to some onlookers when he started digging around on the floorboards. He pulled out a strip of rubber that had been flung into the cockpit. Apparently this is something that happens quite often with an Atom. During hard cornering, rubber is scrubbed off the tires and since the Atom is completely open, some of this rubber winds up with the driver. Also, there's no windshield so you need to wear a helmet with a faceshield. Crazy stuff.



On my way home, I had to make a stop to get some new lighting fixtures for the house. A Home Depot run in the 308? Why not?