Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cleaning out the shop

I made a decision this past weekend. I needed to clean out my shop and make more space. Not just clean up and organize, but do some serious purging to get more space. After many years and several homes, I decided to give up on my old Volkswagen Rabbit Pickup project. Now that I own the car that I've wanted almost my entire life, there was basically no chance that I'd actually finish the VW. While I would have loved to get that thing back on the road, it was time for it to go.

Taking up half my shop was the Rabbit shell and about a dozen boxes of parts. I first considered trying to sell the entire project as a whole, but it didn't seem like anyone was interested. I ended up listing the rolling shell on Craigslist as free. It's sort of like when you hold a garage sale -- either you're in "just get rid of stuff mode" or "try to make some money" mode. I started off trying to get money, but realized that space is more important to me than the few measly dollars I could get. In less than 24 hours after posting, I reclaimed half the floor space in my shop. That feels good. I still need to spend more time going through all my parts and get rid of them as well. Purging is good!