Tuesday, March 1, 2011

See, it really did start at a young age

A while ago, when I was going through some old boxes, I found some stuff from my youth. This is a 1:24 scale model of the Ferrari 308 GTS that I made when I was probably 14 or so. It was a kit made by Revell, and as I recall was marketed as the "Magnum PI Ferrari 308 GTS." I wish that I still had some of my old posters, especially the one that was 8' long and covered the entire width of my room. I was crazy about the 308 back then and it's still a little strange to me now that I actually own one.



This model is pretty detailed. Now that I know a lot about the 308, it's fun to pick out all the details as well as point out the inaccuracies. First of all, this model is a Euro model, whereas they used a US spec car in the show. You can tell it's a Euro mainly because of the small bumpers. However, this car also has a dry-sump oiling system (there is a dry-sump tank under the bonnet) and a single rear tailpipe, which identifies it as an early Euro dry-sump GTB car. Also, the Euro cars had a slightly different layout of the bonnet louvers. So, it has all the Euro dry-sump details, but with a GTS top and marketed as the Magnum PI car!