Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pretty quiet on the home front

Things have been pretty quiet lately on the home front. Why? Partly due to the weather -- it's been cold and my shop is not heated. Earlier this month, I had started to rejet my carburetors. To try and lean things out a little, I'm going to drop back from the 0.57 idle jets to 0.55. To maintain a richer mixture at open throttle, I have some 130 main jets to replace the existing 125. It's all a bit of voodoo really to get the jetting just right. We'll see how it works out. I've replaced the idle jets and leaned out the mixture. Now I just need a window of clear weather to drive the car and fine tune it.

The other reason for the quiet on the 308 side is my other current project. Earlier this year, a friend of mine was selling his old truck -- a 3/4 ton 1969 GMC stepside. Because TK's truck has a camper on it all summer, I've been wanting another truck to haul stuff around without needing to go through the hassle of pulling off the camper. So I bought the truck and I've been planning what to do with it. It runs, but not very well.



Last week, I found another truck on Craigslist. It's a 1967 Chevy pickup that I could use as a donor. It has ok doors (to replace mine which had rust holes in them), a running motor (better than in the '69), power steering and few other odds and ends I can use. I pulled the motor a few days ago and as luck (or lack thereof) would have it, the block is cracked (doh!) and unusable. Oh well, I'll use what I can and hopefully I can recoup some of my loss by parting out the rest of the truck.