Monday, July 16, 2012

Tick tock...getting the cam cover back on

Now that I've checked the valve clearances, it's time to button things back up. I'm got a bit of a deadline here. Ferrari Day at E@RTC is this coming Saturday and I need to get back on the road before then.



Putting the cam cover back on is no big deal, right? Well, it's not a big deal but it's more involved than say a small block Chevy valve cover. First, I scraped off the old gasket material and cleaned all the mating surfaces. When I got out the new gasket, I realized that it need to be cut to fit. Huh? Isn't that why we pay top dollar for die cut gaskets, so we don't have to do any cutting? As you can see, the gasket needs to be trimmed around the cam openings and the distributor base.

For sealant, I've used Permatex RTV Blue for the past 25 years. It's only recently that I've tried other sealants on advice from other people. A lot of people in the F-car community have had good luck with Hondabond, a sealer product made by (you guessed it), Honda. On his way by last week, SL dropped by a Honda dealership and picked some up. What the heck, I'll give it a shot and see if it works better than the tried and true RTV Blue.



A little trimming with a pair of scissors and the gasket (now three separate pieces) fits well. I put a little dab at the corners where the gaskets meet the cam seals and bolted the cam cover back on. According to the Hondabond packaging, the sealant takes a full 3 days to cure completely. I'll wait until later in the week to fire up the engine just to make sure.