Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Trying out some new plugs

My old plugs were all due for replacement, so I decided to try something different. I was using NGK BP6ES plugs and I read that carb 308 owners have had luck with NGK Iridium plugs. The Iridium plugs have a narrow pointed tip which creates a hotter tip and are supposedly more resistant to fouling. Many people use the lightly cooler plugs in the 7 heat range, but I decided to stick with the 6 so I went with the BPR6EIX plugs.



Compared to the BP6ES plugs, these Iridium plugs really do have a narrower tip. We'll see how resistant they are to fouling. Out of the box, the gap was way too large so I had to narrow them to the spec of 0.025". I only had time tonight to install the 4 in the rear bank. I'll tackle the more challenging front bank plugs tomorrow night.