Sunday, June 26, 2016

A visit to the shop

 It just so happens that I was traveling for work and I had a layover on the East Coast so I decided to take a side trip to go visit the shop. I flew in to Logan International, rented a car and drove up to see David in New Hampshire. Even though he has some helpers, Ferrari of Bedford is basically a one man show. David runs the shop out of his house and multi-car garage. It's clean facility and a nice change from the massive service center at the dealership. I'm sure it gets pretty busy around there with customer cars but I think he manages pretty well with what's there.

Engine disassembly has started. One head is off and other is stuck (as many 308 heads are) but David assures me that he can get it off without too much drama. He's pretty sure that the engine has never been apart before, which is a good thing. Who knows what kind of work may have been done by previous mechanics. Apparently, David has seen some hack jobs inside other engines.

We spent a few hours talking about next steps. He's going to tear down the entire engine and transaxle, then determine what needs to be replaced and reconditioned. This is where the variability comes in -- he won't know for sure what's wrong with the transaxle until it's disassembled. We spent so much time talking that I lost track of time and almost missed my flight home! I did not factor traffic and time to return the rental car. Luckily I was one of the last people through the door.