Monday, June 6, 2016

Some alarming discoveries

 Every now and again, someone tells you something that is so unbelievable that all you can do is scrunch up your face and say WTF? I head earlier shared with David the compression and leakdown numbers that came from the dealer. The first thing he wanted to do was to confirm those numbers to get a good handle on the engine condition.

Here's his response after some initial investigation:

"Although the compression/leak numbers are odd, one of my immediate findings is that 3 of the 8 spark plug ends are not connected to the plugs!"

After digging further:

"Plugs are out.

1-4 rich-fouled
5-fouled
6-lean
7-No spark plug installed!
8-lean

I thought it was odd that I could not feel the #7 spark plug with my plug socket. However, no plug was confirmed with my inspection camera…"

 


WTF??? Since the 308 was at the dealership, it has really only been driven home, to and from E@RT once, then to the pick-up point and from the drop-off to the shop. The last people to touch the engine was the dealership. Can someone there have really been so incompetent as to FORGET TO PUT A SPARK PLUG BACK IN??? As you can see from the inspection camera photo, there's a lot of residue around the plug hole and it's clear that plug has been missing for while.

I'll find out more as compression and leakdown tests are done.