Thursday, September 3, 2009

Engine turns, no binding

The one thing I assume is that the engine is fine internally. Up until now, I haven't done anything to check that assumption. Now that I finally have a 36mm socket, I can turn the engine by hand to make sure it turns freely. For some strange reason, I could not find the correct deep socket to remove the spark plugs. Since this car is missing the factory tool kit (and the factory spark plug wrench), I ended up buying a spark plug socket set from Schucks. The set included six sockets, and the last one I tried ended up being the right size. I pulled out all the plugs and apart from a little surface rust on the outside, they look ok.



With the plugs out, I poured a little motor oil down each hole to add a little lubrication to the cylinders. Then I put the wrench on the crankshaft and slowly turned the engine over. The engine turned smoothly with no binding or noise. Good -- one less thing to worry about.