Wednesday, September 30, 2009

More on the cooling system

I just found some other photos I took related to the cooling system. The water pump on these cars is known to have a short life. It's recommended that when you do the timing belts, you rebuild or replace the water pump. I'm took a gamble and used my old water pump without any modification. It was surprising clean inside and out, which leads me to believe that it's not had a lot of miles on it. Also, it wasn't leaking, there are no signs that it was leaking and the bearings felt great. So, back on it went.



Also, I had to make a couple of gaskets for the coolant manifold that connects to the water pump to the heads. I search high and low for these gaskets. The original part number has been superseded by another number, but I couldn't find anyone who had it in stock. Fine. They're small simple gaskets so I just cut my own from a roll of gasket material.