Monday, September 21, 2009

Replacement fuseblocks

As seasoned 308 owners know, one of the weakest part of these cars is the electrical system -- specifically the fuseblocks. The factory ones will fail at some point in the car's life. The originals are riveted together and over time will loosen and corrode, increasing the resistance then overhead and melt. These replacements came from Birdman and are reportedly a tremendous upgrade from OEM. As Birdman says, "There are only two kinds of Ferrari OEM 308 fuseboxes: those that have left you stranded and those that will." His replacements are well made, labeled left and right and come with new mounting screws and tandem terminal clips where needed. All I need to do is find the correctly sized glass fuses.



My current fuseblocks look ok from the front and I don't know if there is truly a problem with them or not. I need to get a new battery at some point when I'm ready to check out the electricals. I figure it's better to replace the fuseblocks, which are known to be problematic, and go from there.