Saturday, December 4, 2010

NW Toy Run 2010

Finally, a nice sunny day when the roads are dry! Today was also the 7th annual NW Toy Run. It's a yearly event to raise money and collect toys for Toys for Tots. TK and I rounded up a bag of toys and drove down in the 308. There was a pretty good layer of frost on the ground this morning but the sun came out and it was a beautiful day.



The collection site was a local raceway, which has a big parking lot. Some people came in, dropped their toys and left while others parked and just hung out. We stayed for a few minutes and walked around the lot to see some of the other cars. Most of the people there were the "fast and furious" crowd with their outrageously lowered, stretched tires and obscene camber angles. I got a good laugh at a few of the cars. Still, it was a good event for a good cause. Over 1200 cars showed up and the event raised $3500 for Toys for Tots and collected a 27' trailer full of toys.

When we got back to the car, I noticed something strange about one of the headlight louvers. I had known that the paint on the aluminum louver was starting to flake off and apparently the drive down had caused a large section to take flight. What I saw was a big patch of bare aluminum on one of the slats.



When I got home, I realized a large section of paint from the other headlight louver also took flight. At least I have bare aluminum now on both sides to match! I knew I'd have to get these things repainted so I guess this is the time. I'll wait until it warms up a little in the Spring and repaint both louvers. On the later US cars, the louvers are anodized black and many early car louvers have been painted or power coated back. I think I'll stick with the original and paint it body-color rather than switching to black.