Sunday, August 16, 2009

Finally, enough space to start working

When we brought home the 308, I didn't have space in my shop to work on it. One side was taken up my OTHER car project (an old VW) and my BMW R75/5 motorcycle was taking up most of the other side. In order to have enough space, I had to find a place to put the Beemer and the VW had to scoot over. Meanwhile, I had to give another car the boot out of the main garage for the 308. After a few weeks of work, I finally had enough space and TK and I pushed the 308 out of the main garage and into the shop.

Once the 308 was in the shop, I was able to finally get a good look at it. One of the first things I notice about this car is how working space is at a premium. I go to pull the air cleaner cover off to see the tops of the carbs. So far so good. I then go to pull the air filter off -- WTF?? There's not enough room between the engine hatch and the air cleaner base to get the filter out? I can't believe it, I need to pull the rear hatch off to replace the air filter?

This is a 2-person job so with TK's help, we undo the six mounting bolts which hold the hatch. The hatch itself is remarkably light -- the two of us are able to handle it pretty easily. It's now stashed on a side of the garage covered in blankets. Hopefully, it won't sit there for long and it can go back on the car really soon.

Ok! Room (again) to work! I remove the air cleaner base and can get a good look at the top of the engine. Aside from a lot of dust, it looks ok. There's some corrosion around the thermostat and water pump connections and the carbs have some streaks on the sides like something's leaked in the past.



Guess I'll start making my todo list now!