Thursday, December 3, 2009

Carb rebuild -- part 1 (of many)

I got the correct gaskets now for the carbs so I decided to dive in. I took the carb apart and put all the pieces back into the ultrasonic cleaner. I used hot water and soap again and the results were actually really good.



Another thing I got was all new butterfly shaft bearings. The original ones are not sealed and can be a source of a vacuum leak. The new ones are SKF sealed bearings with lithium grease inside. I was able to get one old bearing out intact, but destroyed the other one pulling it out. It's a good thing I'm replacing them -- the intact one was pretty much seized up and barely moved.



For being a fairly simple part, a carburetor sure has a lot of parts. I only managed to get the new bearings and the linkage plates installed tonight. Hopefully I'll get a chance to finish it up tomorrow. Then it's one down, only three more carbs to go!