Saturday, December 26, 2009

Gotta take the bad with the good

After two days of stuffing my face with yummy holiday food, I set out to the shop to organize and find that darned synchrometer. It took a few hours, but I cleaned off my workbench and found the meter.



Ok, that's the good part. After cleaning up, I went to start the engine and noticed something strange. When the throttle is opened, a cam on each throttle shaft activates an accelerator pump which shoots more gas into the carb. The accelerator pump jet is right between the venturis and you can actually see a stream of gas as the pump is activated. The problem is, the pump on one of the carbs did not seem to be working. I decided to (once again) pull the carbs off to see what was the matter. I disassembled the carb and charged up my compressor to blow some air through. In what can only be described as a fit of stupidity, I did not completely disassemble the carb starting circuit before blowing air through it. The next thing I know, a jet of compressed air sends tiny carb parts flying into the dark corners of the shop. This seriously qualifies as a Bad ThingTM. By some miracle, I managed to find all the parts except one -- a spring clip that holds everything together. Pierce Manifolds in CA are the experts on Webers and have a large inventory of parts. I hope that they have this tiny part.