Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cables

After considering all the options for fixing my parking brake cable, I decided to just bite the bullet and buy a new cable set. This came with the two side cables, turnbuckle coupler and right and left handed locking nuts. Installation was pretty straightforward and I think the parking brake is adjusted as well as it can be.



While the car was up the air, I realized I had not changed out the gear oil in the transaxle. I had 5 quarts of Redline gear oil that I bought months ago and it was time to use it. I removed the drain plug and the oil that came out was reasonably clean. It must have been changed not too long before the car was parked. The drain plug had a magnet on it to catch any metal particles from inside the transmission. Luckily, my drain plug was pretty clean. The magnet had a little sludge around it, but no metal shavings.



As the oil was draining, I went to loosen the filler bolt. Hmmm...22mm. Hmmm...I don't have a 22mm box wrench and there isn't enough room for a 22mm socket and ratchet handle. Guess I'll be stopping by the store to pick up some more tools.