Monday, February 8, 2010

Color me Rosso Corsa

Even though I tuned my carbs a few weeks back, I've known that there's more fine tuning to be done. It seems to be running a little rich still, as evidenced by the stinky exhaust smell. To properly set the air/fuel mixture, one really needs to use an exhaust gas analyzer. However, I can't justify spending the $500+ for one, so I opted for the next best thing. It's called the Colortune.



The system is based on the premise that different air/fuel ratios will produce different flame colors. A lean a/f will have a white flame, a rich mixture has an orange flame and the "optimal" stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1 is a blue flame. The Colortune has a special spark plug with a glass top so you can see the color of the flame. You basically adjust the a/f mixture until the flame is the right color. Sound easy? I'll find out just how well it works soon.