Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I hate broken stuff

When I was putting the wheels back on, I noticed that there was something wrong with the parking brake cable. One side had somehow popped out of a keeper, which is why the brake did not work. I had briefly futzed with this, but decided to fix it later. Today was later, and I again raised the rear of the car on stands to get to the brake mechanism. First I tried to loosen the adjuster to add slack to the cable. This didn't work because the adjuster was locked up tight. There were only two bolts holding the pivot to the frame, so I decided to just pull the whole thing off so I can work on it on the bench.

This thing sure was stuck. I sprayed it with PB Blaster and waited. Still wouldn't budge. I heated it with a torch. Still no dice. Eventually, the threaded end of the adjuster broke off and that's all she wrote. Oh well, more to fix.



Now that I got the "break something all the time" out of the way, I focused on recovering the remainder of the interior pieces. There were only four more pieces, and I was able to get them all done. The black pieces fit right behind the rear door jamb and the white pieces go on the inside of the B pillars.