Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rivet tool found!

After lots of looking and asking around, I found a rivet tool that would work. My brother-in-law had an old tool he picked up for $2 at a garage sale. The body was narrow enough, but the pivot pin made it just a little too wide. However, the way this tool was set up allowed me to grind some metal off each end of the pivot to make it narrow enough. I left just enough material so it wouldn't fall apart.



It barely fit, but I was able to sneak it between the fins and rivet the louver assembly back on. The grinding left the pivot pin rough so I put some blue painters tape on the head of the rivet tool so it wouldn't scratch the anodized aluminum of the louvers.



I don't have a picture of the final product, but I put the engine cover back on the car as well. My todo list is pretty short now. I'll definitely be driving by the time spring rolls around.