Sunday, January 24, 2010

It's all about the tools

I set about to finish putting the engine hatch back together today. First, I attempted to drill out a broken mounting bolt. The result? FAIL! I was able to drill a hole into the bolt and start a bolt extractor, but I ended up breaking it off. Then I tried to drill through the broken extractor, but that didn't work too well. The bolt extractor is made of hardened steel and my drill bits were just not up to the task. I decided to leave it and try again later.



With the bolt extraction a bust, I moved on to installing the mesh grill and louvers. With the hatch upside down on some sawhorses, I was able to get everything attached to the underside. So far so good. I flipped the hatch over and put the louvers in place. I then realized that my pop rivet gun is too wide and would not fit between the louver fins. Guess I need to find a different tool.



I did meet with some success on the door switches. The new switches I got were a little different than the originals so I had to make some modifications. The original has a male spade connector and the replacement does not. I cut off the end, soldered on a pigtail and the proper connector. They work great and now the dome light comes on when I open the door.