Monday, January 18, 2010

Cover me

This weekend, TK was looking at the 308 and remarked that it was really dusty. She said that as soon as the car is back on the ground and clean, I should get a cover or at least a big sheet to keep the dust off. We stopped at a craft store when we were out and about, but I didn't see any fabric that seemed appropriate (or big enough).

Late this afternoon, I did a quick search to see what kind of indoor car covers were available. There was one cover that caught my eye -- the Dustop made by Covercraft. It's basically and indoor dust cover, made of a 4-ply soft material. The material was originally designed by Kimberly-Clark for use in baby diapers. That tells you how soft this material is. Finding a place to buy such in thing was frustrating though. All the sources I found did not have a 308 cover in this particular material.

Then I Googled "ferrari 308 dustop." Amazingly enough, the first hit was a San Francisco Craigslist ad with exactly what I was looking for. A guy in the Bay Area was selling a one year old Dustop cover for the 308! He had placed the ad about half an hour before I called. What are the chances? He was in California, but by brother AL lives about 20 minutes away. Quick calls to the seller and AL got the deal organized and the cover got paid for and picked up. Best of all, AL's coming to town at the end of this month so I'll get the cover then.