Thursday, January 28, 2010

Hey honey, what're you doing right now?

Want to go for a quick ride? That's what I told TK tonight after I spent a few hours in the shop.

Earlier this week, I considered dropping the car back on the ground. Everything was buttoned up underneath (or so I thought). Yesterday, I looked under the car and there was a liquid spot. I reluctantly got back on the creeper and rolled under the car to see what it was and where it coming from. It was coolant, and was coming from a rear connection. Turns out that a hose clamp was a little loose. Of course, it was one that was nearly impossible to reach. After a lot of swearing, I did manage to tighten the clamp and it stopped the leak. I got out the floor jacks and lowered the car off the jack stands.



I was tired of just working on this car and I was really itching to drive it. Sitting back on the ground again just made that itch more itchy. I had no engine cover, no mirrors and no plates. It was dark. I didn't care -- I needed to drive. I started the engine and let it idle a while to warm up. I went to get TK and we got into the car. I tell you, sitting so low to the ground with the engine running was AWESOME. I backed it out and turned on the headlights. First of all, the lights need to be aimed. Second of all, the headlights SUCK. No matter, I was able to take my first drive and I wasn't going to let a little thing like not being able to see the road stop me.

I put it into gear and we set off down the driveway toward the road. We live on a dead end street and I was only planning on driving down to the end -- probably less than 1000 feet. As I pulled onto the road, I started laughing. I was driving a Ferrari, MY Ferrari, the one I had wanted since I was 12 years old. It was amazing.

A few seconds later, we reached the end of the road and I had to turn around and headed to the other end of the road. I never got out of second gear, but it was great. This was just a little test and I didn't consider it a real drive. Very soon, I'll get all remaining things put back on the car so I can take it for an authentic maiden voyage.