Sunday, January 17, 2010

Passenger door done

There's still some wiring cleanup to do, but the passenger's door is mostly back together. It just seemed like there were so many little things to take care of before I could put the door panel back on. I wasted a lot of time looking for the metal rod that connects the lock button to the locking mechanism. I finally gave up looking and made one out of a piece of allthread I had laying around. It fit, but I wasn't all too happy about it. Here's what the central locking actuator looks like and it's approximate location inside the door. When it's mounted, you can barely tell it's there.



As I was working at the workbench with the door panel, I happened to drop a tool on the floor. It then proceeded to roll behind some junk on the floor. I reached down to get it and what did I find? The missing door lock rod! Amazing. Good thing I found it before I put the door panel back on. I was happy to pitch the rod I made and put the real one back on. The last thing to do was to deal with the side mirror mounting holes in the door. Back in 1978, this car only came with a driver's side mirror. At some point, one was added to the passenger's side. However, the passenger mirror was mounted with sheet metal screws right into the door skin. On the driver's side, there is a steel plate mounted on the inside of the door with threaded holes for machine screws. I decided to do the same sort of thing on the passenger's side, which was pretty simple. I made a plate with three drilled and tapped holes. The center hole is used to hold the plate to the door skin and the other two holes will secure the mirror.

I still need to test and mount the keyless entry system. After that, I should be done with all the wiring related stuff.