Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My old man is a television repairman. He's got the ULTIMATE set of tools...I can fix it

Not really my old man, but my neighbor BG. He's got a motorcycle shop with a full machine shop. If anyone knows how to remove a broken bolt with a broken extractor inside, it's BG. His idea was for me to grind out the bolt around the edge until the broken extractor comes out. He loaned me a set of mini carbide tipped cutters that would fit in my Dremel tool.



It was amazing. These things chewed through the bolt like it was butter. After a few minutes of grinding, part of the broken bolt extractor fell out and I could see the original hold I drilled. A little more grinding and all the hardened steel was gone. I then webt back to the drill to enlarge the hole until I could pick out some of the old threads. Finally, running a tap through the hole cleaned it out and now I'm back in business. I have no idea how much a set of these cutters cost, but I need to get a set. The sure are handy to have around.

I still need to find a narrow rivet tool to fit between the louvers to finish off the engine cover.