Sunday, January 3, 2010

Yes!

Today was a tuning day and a very successful one at that. I started the engine and it was coughing and sputtering like before. It ran for a few minutes to warm up, then I took my time with the carb adjustment, following Birdman's tutorial on carb synchronization. First it was linkage adjustment, then idle stop adjustment and idle mixture adjustment. It seemed like with each tweak, the engine ran better and better. It's a complex arrangement that just takes lots of patience. There are four carbs with two venturis each, which amounts to essentially eight separate devices to adjust. One adjustment affects everything else so there's lots going around and around. The clean carbs along with the slightly larger idle jets made a huge difference. The engine starts easily now, and it idles and revs without any coughing or spitting.

One other thing I was able to get to today was the side quarter windows. I've never installed fixed pane windows before, although I know one technique. Using a piece of rope (or in my case, baling twine), put the rope into the rubber weatherstrip all around the window. Then place the window onto the outside of the opening with the rope ends inside the car.



Once the window is in place, slowly pull on one end of the rope. This will basically roll the inside edge of the seal onto the window opening lip. As you pull, the window will just pop into place. There were a few tricky spots where I needed to poke at the seal to get it into place. Otherwise, installation was pretty simple. I also put the window louvers back on. All that's left here is to put a bead of caulking around the window to seal it completely.