Friday, July 30, 2010

It's always something, isn't it?

Tonight when I got home from work, I wanted to spend some time in the shop. I wanted to richen up the idle mixture just a little more, as well as install some foam insulation under the front hood to improve the airflow around the radiator. I go out to the shop, reach down for the driver's side door handle and...snap! The handle flops around like a fish out of water. What now? Don't even ask me how it happened, but the cable connecting the door handle to the lock mechanism broke. I didn't really intend on removing the door panel again, but there I was -- removing the door panel again. Luckily, I'm an old pro by now and replacing the cable only killed about an hour or so.

I moved on to the carbs and opened up the mixture screws about half a turn each. It does seem to run a little better now, but there's still a hesitation. However, I think I can live with it. It was about 9:30 and dark when I got done, and I wasn't able to get to the foam. TK and I needed some food so we hopped in and went down to a great little restaurant 3 miles down the road.



It really feels like I have a "jump in and go" car now. In fact, tomorrow morning I'm going to jump in and go to a local regular car event. They call it E@RTC and it's basically a place where people bring their cool exotic cars on a Saturday morning. I've known about it for a while, but never had the chance to make it. Tomorrow's E@RTC is Ferrari day, so how can I miss that?