Saturday, July 10, 2010

New bracket

One of the reasons I needed to raise the car is because I needed to replace the Allison XR700 ignition modules. I suspect one of them is causing my intermittent loss of the 1-4 bank. They're reasonably cheap so I'll replace them both. The units themselves were tucked in the driver's side wheelwell, behind the inner wheelwell liner. Since I was replacing them, it was a good time to relocate them to someplace easier to access. A few months ago at a car show, I saw a carb'd 308 that also had XR700s. They were on a bracket just forward of the ignition coils. Brilliant! This seems like a great place so I'll do the same thing.



I started with the cardboard template, then made the final one from some angle iron. As soon as the paint is dry, I'll put the ignition system back together.

Another thing I wanted to get a closer look at was the passenger's side inner CV boot. I realized a while back that the boot is leaking and throwing grease all over the place, including the hot exhaust.



You can see it's definitely leaking. I don't think the boot itself is torn. It looks like the clamped end has slipped and grease is slipping past the end. It's a real mess down there. Removing the CV joint is going to be a PITA too. I can barely see it, much less reach it.