Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The joys of an old car

Yesterday, I had my first opportunity to drive the 308 to work. I'm constantly reminded that this is indeed a 32 year old car and often times acts like it. On the drive in, we had the targa top on because it was a little cold. The top has an annoying squeak at the front seal, but luckily the exhaust and road noise at highway speed masks it. Unfortunately, the exhaust and road noise also masks the new stereo I just put in. Part of the problem is that my radio reception sucks so the stations fade in and out. Why? Because my power antenna doesn't go up of course!

After work, I go to unlock the car with my keyless entry remote. I open the passenger door to unlatch the top, then close the door. I walk around to the other side and the driver's door won't open. What? I try the remote to lock and unlock, but it doesn't work. I notice that the driver's lock button has popped up, but not all the way. The passenger's side is now locked and I can't get in to the car! Fine, I try the key but it doesn't work either. I can get the lock to go up and down with the key, but it won't completely unlock. Luckily, I'm at work so I go into our shop and find some wire. I'm able to fish a loop through the driver's side to lift the lock button about 1/16" and pop! The door opens.

Did I mention the loose heat shield on the exhaust which causes an intermittent annoying rattle? How about the annoying (new) squeak when I turn the steering wheel?