Friday, August 20, 2010

So many parts, so little time

I seem to have a small pile growing of parts that need to go on the car. At some point, I'll have the time to actually install them.

I said a while back that I didn't need a stereo in the 308. After a few long drives, I've changed my mind. The car certainly doesn't need some crazy in car entertainment system, but it does need at least a basic stereo. I decided on a simple Alpine deck and a pair of Kenwood speakers for the doors. It won't win any audiophile awards, but will give me something else to listen to on longer trips.



Somewhere along the way in the car's past, someone must have been too vigorous in cleaning the interior. There is an aluminum plate under the console toggle switches with words describing what each switch does. On my plate, the words had gotten completely rubbed off. Verell makes a repro set that are "unscratchable," but they were a little more money than I wanted to spend. I eventually found a used plate on eBay and managed to get it pretty cheaply.



The seat belts on the car are pretty beat. The belts themselves are kind of fuzzy (and probably unsafe) and the spools don't retract very well. The same belts were used on (of all things) a Delorean and still available new from DMC. The units are made by a company called Klippan Safety Products. Here's where I splurged a little and I bought both the left and right sides. They aren't cheap, but are an exact match for OEM that came with the car.



Now that I had a replacement targa cover, the only remaining piece of vinyl I needed was the boot cover. There's a guy selling replacements who advertises in Hemming's Motor News as well as someone who sells them on eBay. The one on eBay was a little cheaper, but also seemed a little cheesy so I decided to get the cover from the Hemming's guy. The cover is well made and it will make the under-hood area look really good.



Lastly, I was able to score another set of carburetor rebuild kits from a guy selling on eBay. I know that at some point, I'll probably need to open the carbs again so it never hurts to have some spare gaskets. The seller had these left over from a 308 he owned and he was purging. He threw in a set of new spark plugs (which I'll probably never use) and a handful of valve cover acorn nuts (which I may use). Such a deal!