Saturday, August 7, 2010

That sir, is the Ultimate

We had something special at E@RTC this week. An SCC Ultimate Aero was going to be there -- the very car that in 2007 set the record for the world's fastest production car. At 256.18 mph, the UA beat the previous record set by the Bugatti Veyron. Not to be outdone, Bugatti released a Super Sport version of the Veyron to take back the title earlier this year.



SSC is based out of Richland, Washington and the record speed run was done on a stretch of highway in Eastern Washington. Bugatti, on the other hand, did their run at the plush, controlled environment of the VW Proving Grounds. There's more info on SSC at their website.



The forecast for this morning was pretty sketchy. There was a 40% chance of rain, but the event was still on. There was an event down in Monterey and a number of people at E@RTC (including the SSC UA) were going to be loaded onto a car carrier. Since it wasn't raining in the morning, I decided to take the 308. It ran great, although I had to put the top up due to a light rain on the way home. While I was there, I realized that I still had my old plates on. Somehow, I completely forgot to put my new CV plate on. I'll have to get that done before I drive next.

If last week was Ferrari day, today seemed like it was Lamborghini day. There were a fair number of Porshe and Ferrari, but more Lambos than I would have expected to see.