Thursday, August 5, 2010

When big is too big and small is too small

Earlier in the week I had ordered a set of 0.57 size idle jets for my Weber 40 DCNF carbs. The original 0.55 jets made the mixture too lean and the 0.60 jets seemed a little too rich. Pierce Manifolds, the place I normally get Weber parts from, didn't list an intermediate size, but Vee Dub Parts in California did. The 0.57 jets should be just right so I figured I'd try them out.



Once you look at all three jet sizes side by size, you can tell the difference. It's not a huge difference, but noticeable. It's amazing how such a small size change can make a difference. Just like the door panel removal, I'm getting pretty good at getting to the carbs and changing the jets and I was able to do it in about an hour. I didn't have a chance to drive it, but it seemed to idle and rev a lot better. With the 0.57 jets, the idle mixture screws are out about 4 turns, which most carb car owners report as being about the "right" position.

After the carbs, I moved on to the front of the car. Under the front bonnet, there are supposed to be two pieces of foam to seal the top of the radiator and the spare tire well to the underside of the bonnet. This directs the airflow through the radiator rather than around it. This apparently greatly affects the coolant temperature. My foam was missing and I had been looking to replace it for a while. Rutlands has a set for $60, but I did not want to spend that much for 2 pieces of foam. Instead, I found a place that sold Armaflex, which is a foam sheet used in HVAC applications. The best part is I got a big sheet for half the cost of the "official" replacement foam.



Another thing missing on my car was the targa top cover. When the top is not in use, it fits in the space behind the seats. A vinyl cover holds to top and keeps it from shifting around. A fellow F-chatter had one made locally for his car, and he offered to have another one made for me. It looks and fits great and cost much less than from other sources.



I haven't had a chance to mount them yet, but I got my new license plates this week. It's been a year and my tabs were about to expire so I decided to get a set of "Collector Vehicle" plates. These plates are available for vehicles over 25 years old that aren't regularly driven. The best parts are that I'll never have to renew my tabs again because these plates never expire, and I can get rid of my front plate because the CV plate is only for the rear.