Monday, November 9, 2009

And time passes...

Time does pass, but you can't really tell because the clock in the car is broken. Well, not completely broken -- it works but the little knob to adjust it is missing. I decided to pull it apart to see if it was something I could fix. The clock is located in a 2-gang instrument cluster off the driver's left knee. I pulled off the cluster, removed the clock mounting bracket and it slid right out. Getting it apart without destroying was tricky. There is a chrome trim ring hold it together and the ring needed to be carefully pried apart. I managed to save it and open the clock. As luck would have it, it appears that the only thing missing is the knob shaft. The adjuster gear is still in place, held by a small spring. I just need to find a shaft the correct size to go back into the hole.



A few weeks ago when SL was helping me, he was bolting the oil cooler back on and noticed the mounting studs were a little beat up. I ordered some new ones and put them on. Good thing too because one of the mounts completely separated and the other one was almost as bad.



Someone in the past had replaced the ignition point system with an electronic ignition. It's an Allison XR700 system (now Crane Ignition) and there are two control units -- one for each distributor. The only problem was, the control units were zip tied together and attached to the left side intake ductwork. Needless to say, it looked a little cheesy and I wanted to redo the mounting. I made a little mounting platform from sheet metal and mounted the boxes to it. The mount itself is attached to the same mounting point as the left side duct.



I also closed up the access panels under the front of the car and sorted through the loose interior parts. Most of the trim panels had been recovered, but pretty badly. I'm not really sure why because the original vinyl still looked pretty good. I decided to pull the new vinyl off, clean the original and mount them back into the interior. The only problem is that the foam on some of the trim was trashed so I need to try and locate some replacement before I can finish the interior.