Sunday, November 29, 2009

Dash vents

Before putting the dash back in, there is some old foam that needs replacing. There are five vents in the dash -- three in the middle and one on each side. Each of these vents is sealed to the ducts under the dash with foam. After 30 years, the foam has almost completely disintegrated.



The original foam measures about 3/4" wide by 1/4" thick. I picked up some adhesive backed insulating foam at the hardware store and it worked perfectly in this application.



It was true when I said this was the easiest dash I have ever removed. However, installation was another story. There is a small lip at the base of the windshield that the dash sits under. The trick was pushing the dash in while getting the leading edge under this lip. Pushing inward on the dash was no easy task as it was a pretty tight fit. At one point, I had to push the dash forward with my feet, then stop and reach forward to seat another small section under the lip, then push again. I would say it took ten times longer to get the dash in than out. Anyhow, the dash is installed again.