Sunday, November 29, 2009

Starting on the carbs

I don't have my new carb gaskets yet, but I figured I'd start by removing all the carbs (again). I wanted to see how well this ultrasonic cleaner worked so I tried it out on one carb. You can see how nasty they are.



I started out with a mixture of hot water and dish soap. SL said this is what he usually uses so I figured I start there. When I lowered the carb into the water, I was expecting some crazy foamy, steamy cleaning action but what I got was...nothing. I mean, not nothing but much less than what I was expecting. The really loose surface dirt blew away pretty quickly but it didn't really touch the caked on grime. I pulled out the carb after 20 minutes and while it's a little cleaner, it's far from being completely clean. I guess I'll try it again with some other stronger solvent.