Friday, November 27, 2009

Do it right

A few days ago when I pulled out the stereo, I found an ugly repair job on some ground wires behind the dash. At first, I was just going to wrap it in electrical tape and call it good. I thought about this and decided against it because I didn't want to do a half-assed job to fix someone else's half-ass job.



I read about how easy it was to remove a 308 dash so I decided to try it. Sure enough, it was easy. After removing the instrument cluster, the dash is held in with 4 bolts and one screw. I've removed a few dashboards from various cars and I'd have to say that this was the easiest dash removal that I have ever done.



Access to the wires was wide open after the dash was removed. I spliced in three wires to replace ones that were nearly severed and wrapped everything with heat shrink tubing. I also soldered on new ring connectors. I think the damaged was caused by the wires chaffing against the side of the stereo so I re-routed the wire bundle under a wire keeper next to the main wire bundle. It's a lot neater now and there won't be a chance of the wires getting chaffed again.