Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sir, you need to read the fine print

I've decided to rebuild my carburetors. The spitting and popping just isn't getting any better, and I figure I should just go ahead and tear those carbs apart. SL brought over his small ultrasonic cleaner and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Four sets of carb gaskets arrived, but looks like I need to try and return them. This car has four Weber DCNF 40 carbs, so I ordered gasket sets for a Weber DCNF 40. However, there are apparently two different types of DCNF 40s -- one with a four screw top and one with a five screw top. The gasket set is for a four screw top and guess what's on the car? Yep, a five screw top carb. There is a slight difference in the top gasket. I went back to the website I ordered it from and sure enough, it says "Weber DCNF 40 with a 4 screw top." That should have been enough to make me check, but somehow I missed that part. I guess carb rebuild will need to wait a little longer until I get the right gaskets.