Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hey, I just saved some money!

A while back, I complained about how horrible my headlights were. I did some homework, and decided the lights I wanted to get were Cibie Euro-code lamps with some powerful H4 bulbs. I also wanted to install some relays to reduce the voltage drop to the lights. A wonderful place to read all about headlight technology is http://www.danielsternlighting.com/ . His website is full of relevant information on lighting. Anyhow, I was going to place an order but DS tells me the Cibie headlamps are temporarily out of stock. Tonight, I went out to the shop to look at my lights and I couldn't believe what I saw. It turns out that I already have Cibie Euro-code headlamps -- the exact same ones I was going to buy! Duh! I just assumed that my lights were the old sealed beam units and needed to be replaced. Since the lights are usually retracted, I didn't pay that much attention to the actual lamps. Also, it turns out there are H4 55/60W bulbs in there. I suspect that the poor performance was solely due to voltage drop in the wiring, which will be cured by installing relays and bigger wires. Also, I'm going to get some higher wattage bulbs. Yahoo! No need to spend the money on new headlamps!