Monday, March 8, 2010

Wheels on the bus go round and round...

For the past several months, I've been struggling with what to do about wheels and tires. The car has OEM Cromodora aluminum/magnesium 14" wheels, which severely limits my tire choices. In fact, there are essentially no performance tires made for 14" wheels anymore.

Last week, I saw an eBay auction for a set of Ferrari 308 wheels. From the description, they sounded like the reproduction 308 QV 16" wheels made by KN Alloy in the UK. The wheels in the auction were new and had never been mounted on a car. There was a Buy it Now price that was right around half of the new price directly from the UK. The only problem was there was no photo. By reading the description, I was 90% sure these were the wheels I wanted so I decided to take a chance. After I agreed to buy, the seller sent me some photos and verified that they were indeed the UK repros. Whew! I'm glad I took the chance.



Aside from one nick on the inside lip of a rear wheel, the set seems to be in perfect condition. Now I have a much better choice in performance tires. The factory size in 16" are 215/55-16 for the front and 235/50-16 for the rear. I should be able to find some good tires at a price I can live with.