Monday, March 15, 2010

I think I'd better keep my day job

There is a reason I'm not a mechanic for a living. I mean, I certainly get the job done and do it correctly, but I'm not exactly the fastest worker around here. Any "real" Ferrari mechanic could probably replace a clutch in less than 8 hours. So far, I think I'm up to 30 or so.

Tonight, I finished putting the drop gears in place. It involved putting the snap rings and bearing back on the transmission input shaft, then putting the gear back on and tightening the ring nut (with the special socket). I then cleaned up the gasket surface and put the transfer case cover back on, with a bead of the Loctite 518 anaerobic gasket eliminator.



I'm almost there! All that's left is to put the clutch linkage back together, adjust it and refill the transmission with oil.