Saturday, April 10, 2010

I can see clearly now

Today was to be a big day. This morning it was REALLY cold and there was frost on the ground. It was too cold in the shop to do any painting so I decided to work on my headlights until it warmed up a little. I had everything I need to rewire the headlights -- 12 gauge wire, fuses, relays and connectors. I was going to take the load off the headlight switch by installing some relays. Here is a good description of why and how to do this upgrade.

Like everything else, this little project was not quite so little and took more time than I expected. To route the wiring, I removed the front bumper and grill. There were three large wires I needed to run from one side of the car to the other and securing it under the nose sheetmetal between the bumper and the radiator was the best routing. There was also a big fat primary wire to be connected directly to the battery which needed to be routed and secured. I crimped, soldered and heat shrank all the connections (and there were many) which took a long time. The old Cibie DOT lamps were replaced with Cibie E-Code lamps and the new bulbs are Narva 55/100W. The new setup is definitely a lot brighter than than old one, especially the 100W high beam. I just need to aim them now which should be pretty easy. Daniel Stern Lighting (where I got all the stuff) as a great headlight aiming guide here.



I was hoping to be able to spray some paint today, but the lights took nearly all day. Tomorrow will be paint day.