Thursday, April 1, 2010

Not all reds are the same

A few months ago, I decided to get some touchup paint knowing I would need it some day. I ordered it online and just ASSUMED that my car was repainted Rosso Corsa (Glasurit FER 300/9). Well (as is often the case), I was wrong. For the early (1976-1979) cars, Ferrari used paint manufactured by Glidden Salchi of Milan. In 1980, they switched to using paint by Glasurit. I think the original color was Rosso Chiaro (Glidden Salchi 20.3.90 or 20-R-190) but I have no idea if an attempt was made to match this color when the car was repainted. Clearly, it is not Glasurit Rosso Corsa. This was obvious when I applied the FER 300/9 paint. It's close, but definitely NOT the same color as what's on the car.

Anyhow, I need to take a paint sample to an auto body supply place to get a paint match. The smallest removable body panel is a headlight cover, so I'll take one off and get it to a shop soon.